The Long Dark is a first-person open-world survival game developed by Hinterland Games for Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, Xbox One and Playstation 4.
The event that triggers The Long Dark is a massive geomagnetic anomaly that affects all electronic equipment rendering them useless.
- Front Seat to the End of the World
Immersive first-person exploration game-play featuring a stunning, original art style. Navigate the savage beauty of the Northern Wilderness while you face the hazards of the new “post-digital” frontier.
- Survive By Your Wits Alone
Be on the lookout for potential supply caches, all the while using survival skills to overcome hazards introduced by harsh weather, wildlife, lack of food and water, other survivors, and the mysterious aurora that add unpredictability to an already extreme situation.
- Survival of the Fittest
Deep survival simulation game-play where every decision matters. Explore a large open world in search of resources, and balance condition and against the needs of your daily survival.
Game Modes Edit
- Play the Story of Will Mackenzie as he struggles to survive, crashed in the wilderness in the aftermath of a mysterious geomagnetic disaster.
Survival mode Edit
- Experience potentially hundreds of hours of free-form sandbox game-play. Push yourself and your skill to last as long as possible without the Story elements.
- Test your skills with scenarios designed to Challenge seasoned players. How fast can you run?
No electricity. No machines. Only you, the brutal Canadian winter... And hope. To stay alive you will need to provide for yourself from what you can find. No rescue can be expected, not now. Nearby structures may still stand. Perhaps they are all abandoned; perhaps they still contain useful equipment. They definitely can provide shelter. And the woods. The woods are everywhere. You grew up with woods like these, you have fished waters like these. There is much that nature can provide. And take away.
Most important now is your health. It is only you, no one else. And you have needs. Food. And water. Where will you sleep? And what can be done to push back the constant, gnawing cold? All must be answered. By you.
With luck and determination you may find relief, even comfort, here in the new wilds. But there are other places to be. And there must be ways to get there. Explore. Search. Venture out. The world still exists. But how, and where, remain to be seen.
Stay healthy, stay alive.
Mitigate the needs of survival.
Navigate a threatening region.
And find your way in the new old world.
"How far will you go to survive?" - The Long Dark
Story here --
Reception here --
- Main article: The Long Dark/Achievements
- Main article: The Long Dark/Changelog
- Main article: The Long Dark/Gallery