FANDOM


Survival skills are experience-based systems for providing bonuses when certain tasks are repeated.

Overview Edit

Skills journal3

The survival skills page in the journal

The skills include: Fire Starting, Cooking, Carcass Harvesting, Ice Fishing, Firearms Proficiency, Archery, and Mending.

Skills are increased upon successfully repeated tasks. When a task is complete, an icon for the relevant skill with a plus sign will show up on the lower right of the HUD, and experience in that skill will be rewarded. After a certain amount of experience, the skill will level up and then give a certain bonus to the player.

Skills do not carry over sandboxes or challenges, unlike feats. When the player dies, they lose their survival skill progress.

In sandboxes, skills can also be increased by researching with the book corresponding with the skill.

Skills Edit

Fire Starting Edit

Firestarting skill icon

Increased by successfully starting a fire.

  • Level 1 bonus: Basic Fire Starting skill. 40% chance to start fires.
  • Level 2 bonus: 55% chance to start fires. Fires last 10% longer. Requires 20 skill points.
  • Level 3 bonus: 65% chance to start fires. Fires last 10% longer. Can start fires without tinder. Requires 50 skill points.
  • Level 4 bonus: 75% chance to start fires. Fires last 25% longer. Can start fires without tinder. Requires 100 skill points.
  • Level 5 bonus: 90% chance to start fires. Fires last 50% longer. Can start fires without tinder. Fires start 50% faster. Requires 200 skill points.

Cooking Edit

Cooking skill icon

Increased by cooking any food or drink item (excluding melting or boiling water or warming up already cooked food.

  • Level 1 bonus: Basic cooking skill.
  • Level 2 bonus: 10% calories from any cooked food item. Requires 25 skill points.
  • Level 3 bonus: 15% calories from any cooked food item. No calorie loss when smashing open cans. Cooking times reduced by 10%. Requires 75 skill points.
  • Level 4 bonus: 20% calories from any cooked food item. No calorie loss when smashing open cans. Cooking times reduced by 20%. Requires 150 skill points.
  • Level 5 bonus: 25% calories from any cooked food item. No calorie loss when smashing open cans. Cooking times reduced by 30%. Never get Parasites or Food Poisoning from cooked food. Requires 350 skill points.

Carcass Harvesting Edit

Carcass harvesting skill icon

Increased by harvesting meat, guts, or hides from a carcass.

  • Level 1 bonus: Basic carcass harvesting skill.
  • Level 2 bonus: {Duration-Bonus} reduction in meat harvesting times. Requires 15 skill points.
  • Level 3 bonus: 25% reduction in meat harvesting times. Can harvest 50% frozen carcasses by hand. 10% reduction in hide or gut harvesting times. Requires 30 skill points.
  • Level 4 bonus: 30% reduction in meat harvesting times. Can harvest 75% frozen carcasses by hand. 20% reduction in hide or gut harvesting times. Requires 50 skill points.
  • Level 5 bonus: 50% reduction in meat harvesting times. Can harvest 100% frozen carcasses by hand. 30% reduction in hide or gut harvesting times. Requires 100 skill points.

Ice Fishing Edit

Ice fishing skill icon

Increased by catching fish.

  • Level 1 bonus: Basic ice fishing skill.
  • Level 2 bonus: 8% chance of line break on catch. Requires 10 skill points.
  • Level 3 bonus: Fishing time reduced by 10%. 5% chance of line break on catch. Requires 50 skill points.
  • Level 4 bonus: 10% to average fish weight. Fishing time reduced by 20%. 3% chance of line break on catch. Requires 150 skill points.
  • Level 5 bonus: 25% to average fish weight. Fishing time reduced by 30%. 1% chance of line break on catch. Requires 250 skill points.

Rifle Firearm Edit

Firearms skill icon

Increased by scoring a hit on an animal.

  • Level 1 bonus: Basic rifle skill.
  • Level 2 bonus: Critical hit chance increased by 10%, 2 condition per repair action. Requires 10 skill points.
  • Level 3 bonus: Accuracy range increased by 20%. Critical Hit chance increased by 15%. 3 Condition per repair action. Requires 25 skill points.
  • Level 4 bonus: Damage increased by 10%. Accuracy range increased by 30%. Critical Hit chance increased by 20%. 5 Condition per repair action. Requires 50 skill points.
  • Level 5 bonus: Damage increased by 20%. Accuracy range increased by 40%. Critical hit chance increased by 30%. 5 condition per repair action. Per-use condition degradation reduced by 50%. Requires 100 skill points.

Archery Edit

Increased by scoring a hit on an animal or crafting arrows.

  • Level 1 bonus: Basic archery skill.
  • Level 2 bonus: Bow sway reduced by 25%. Arrow damage increased by 10%. Requires 15 skill points.
  • Level 3 bonus: Bow sway reduced by 50%. Arrow damage increased by 10%. Critical Hit chance increased by 15%. Requires 40 skill points.
  • Level 4 bonus: Bow sway reduced by 75%. Arrow damage increased by 10%. Critical Hit chance increased by 25%. Bleed Out time reduced by 25%. Per-use condition loss reduced by 50%. Requires 75 skill points.
  • Level 5 bonus: Bow sway reduced by 75%. Arrow damage increased by 25%. Critical Hit chance increased by 50%. Bleed Out time reduced by 50%. Per-use condition loss reduced by 50%. Can fire Survival bow when crouched. Requires 150 skill points.

Mending Edit

Mending skill icon

Increased by successfully repairing an article of clothing.

  • Level 1 bonus: Basic mending skill. 50% chance of successful repair.
  • Level 2 bonus: 65% chance of successful repair. Repair time decreased by 10%. Requires 25 skill points.
  • Level 3 bonus: 75% chance of successful repair. Repair time decreased by 15%. 10% greater item condition increase. Requires 75 skill points.
  • Level 4 bonus: 85% chance of successful repair. Repair time decreased by 25%. 15% greater item condition increase. 25% reduction of Sewing kit wear. Requires 150 skill points.
  • Level 5 bonus: 100% chance of successful repair. Repair time decreased by 40%. 25% greater item condition increase. 35% reduction of Sewing kit wear. Requires 350 skill points.

Research Books Edit

Dressing your kill research book

The Field Dressing your Kill book and research interface

Skills can also be increased by researching from the book that corresponds with a skill. Skill books are scattered throughout the map much like normal books, but are rarer and have a non-generic cover. Books can be researched for 4 to 25 hours depending on the book and will give a boost to the player's experience.

Books cannot be researched in the dark, or if the player is too tired, hungry, or thirsty, or have any affliction. Skill books do not exist in challenges.

Research books retain the functions of normal books and can be used for fuel, harvested, and have the same weight. On at least the lower difficulty levels multiple copies of each book are spawned. Several copies of the same book can be researched.

List of skill books: Edit

  • Field Dressing your Kill, Vol. I - Carcass Harvesting (10 skill points, 10 hours research)
  • Wilderness Kitchen - Cooking (10 skill points, 5 hours research)
  • Survive the Outdoors! - Fire Starting (10 skill points, 5 hours research)
  • The Frozen Angler - Ice Fishing (10 skill points, 5 hours research)
  • Advanced Guns Guns Guns! - Rifle Firearm (10 skill points, 25 hours research)
  • Frontier Shooting Guide- Rifle Firearm (5 skill points, 4 hours research, up to Level 3 Rifle Firearm)

Game history Edit

Survival skills were introduced in patch .346

Mending and Archery skills were added in the Vigilant Trespass Update

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.