|“|| A simple, improvised bow, suitable for hunting small game.|
The bow has drawbacks and advantages over the hunting rifle and is not necessarily better or worse. While the bow is much lighter than the rifle, arrows are heavier than bullets. Unlike rifle rounds, arrows are retrievable after being shot; however, the arrow loses some condition each time it strikes something. An arrow with 0% condition becomes a broken arrow. When shot, broken arrows do not stick to targets and instead fall to the ground.
The bow's condition will degrade about 2-3% per shot and unlike the rifle, cannot be repaired.
The bow requires some practice to use effectively and some factors should be taken into consideration with its use:
- Draw speed: is a lot slower than aiming the rifle.
- Horizontal sway: When drawn, the bow will sway from left to right affecting the arrows flight accordingly. When it tilts to the right or left, the arrow will fly a bit to the right or left of the center of your aim. The sway increases if the player is tired.
- Vertical targeting: arrow flight trajectory forms an arc, following in-game physics, similar to the real world. Farther targets may require aiming higher.
- Arrow flight speed: arrows fly much slower than bullets, so take a target's movement into consideration.
- Usability: the bow, unlike the rifle, cannot be fired while crouched unless one's Archery skill is Level 5.
- Main article: Hunting
The survival bow is a craftable, aimable tool used to launch simple arrows at targets. Arrows have a chance to kill animals instantly with a critical hit, but more commonly cause massive bleeding wounds that will drain the animal's health quickly.
Bleed out time Edit
Wildlife take a specific amount of time to bleed out, as follows:
|Head||45 minutes||20 minutes||Instant|
|Chest||120 minutes||25 minutes||40 minutes|
|Hind||240 minutes||40 minutes||45 minutes|
|Foot||240 minutes||120 minutes||60 minutes|
The crafting can be done in parts, with a minimum of 0.5 hours (30 minutes) increments.
Cannot be repaired or harvested.
The survival bow can randomly spawn in the game world on different playthroughs. Same observed spawn points include:
- On the edge of a glade in Katie's Secluded Corner
- In the hut at the Unnamed Pond
- Mystery picnic area, the cave which is an indoor area has one with arrows and bedroll
- Like all ranged weapons, the bow can't be used with a sprained wrist.
- Arrows are less likely to cause a critical wound than bullets.
- Arrows cause more bleeding than bullets, causing a shorter bleed-out time.
- Arrows fired straight upwards can hit and kill the player.
|Cooking||Can opener • Cooking pot • Recycled can|
|Ice Fishing||Fishing tackle • Hook • Line|
|Lighting||Flashlight • Storm lantern • Torch|
|Mending||Quality tools • Rifle cleaning kit • Sewing kit • Simple tools • Whetstone|
|Sleep||Bear skin bedroll • Bedroll|
|Story||Bolt cutters • Jeremiah's knife • Scrap metal shard|
|Other||Charcoal • Mountaineering rope • Snare|