Mountain Town is a region on Great Bear Island centered around the town of Milton, and is the setting for Episode 1 of The Long Dark as well as the eighth region featured in Sandbox mode. Milton is accessible via Forlorn Muskeg, or near the Trapper's Homestead in Mystery Lake by climbing two access points, and navigating through a cave.
The region has a number of marked and named locations, most of which are located in or a short distance from the town itself:
- Town of Milton
- Milton House
- Paradise Meadows Farm
- St. Christopher's Church and graveyard
- Orca Gas Station
- Prison Transport Bus
- Milton Park
- Wood Lot (multiple locations have this name)
- Old Schoolhouse
- The Arch
- Milton Basin (Sandbox only)
- Hermit's Cabin (Sandbox only)
- Rocky Refuge (Sandbox only)
- According to the game's developer, the name Mountain Town was intended to be an "internal name only" for the Milton area; however the name appears on both the Great Bear Island map, and the region map of the area.
- 'Returning' to the original crash site (the starting area in Wintermute) is actually worthwhile, as the site itself (or, very rarely. one of the cars leading to the site instead) will always yield a copy of Advanced Guns, Guns, Guns! and an absurd number of harvestable rose hips. In addition, the green crates found at the site can be broken down, potentially revealing loot inside! In addition, the bridge leading to the crash site past St. Christopher's Church holds numerous lootable cars. Although they require a prybar, the trunks of said cars are usually empty- although a single trunk/frozen corpse will contain a mid-to-high tier coat or parka (randomly placed).
- The region has an unusually high number of wolves in Sandbox Mode, even on lower difficulties. It is currently unknown if this is a glitch or an intentional feature.
Game History Edit
- Mountain Town was added to the game on 1 August 2017 in the Wintermute update.
- Mountain Town became available on sandbox on 7 December 2017 in the Rugged Sentinel update.
- ↑ Raphael van Lierop, Twitter, 5 August 2017 https://twitter.com/RaphLife/status/893702535973752832