|“||For advanced players. A remote, wind-blown valley known for its sheer cliffs, dense forests, and deep winding paths. Although devoid of human settlements, it has long been a destination for the area's toughest mountaineers, and may still have a few secrets to reveal.||”|
Hushed River Valley is the ninth region to be added to the game. The region connects to Mountain Town by navigating through a cave between the Mobile Home and Spruce Falls Bridge. It contains steep cliffs and deep valleys; the deepest valley lies in the middle of the region, with higher altitudes toward the edges of the map. The central valley features several waterfalls, and there are a few snow shelters on the top of higher elevation points (e.g., near the cave that connects to Mountain Town). This is also currently the only region to have hidden caches in Survival mode.
There are a few snow shelters at the top of higher elevation points, which are the only man-made shelters in the region. There is also a chance food and tools may spawn near the snow shelters or inside/near natural shelters. A burned out campfire may also be found near each of the snow shelters.
The lack of artificial structures means that natural formations such as rock overhangs, cliffside caves, and ice caves will generally serve as the best safe houses and base camps in the region.
This region contains special caves called ice caves, which share similarities with other deep caves but look slightly different and feature bioluminescent moss growing on walls in some areas. Ice caves form an extensive network around the region and are important for exploring safely. However, the many twists and turns in the cave systems and the significant distances between bioluminescent moss patches can make navigation tricky. Stones, spent torches, or other items can be used as markers to help the player retrace paths through the caves.
There are two ice cave networks in total--one of which may be inhabited by a wolf. Each cave system has multiple entrances/exits, which often have icicles hanging on the rockface around their exteriors; rose hip bushes and other useful flora often grow directly around them. Reaching different parts of an ice cave may require climbing ropes to reach high ledges or passing through frigid waterfalls inside the cave system.
The region contains at least 4 hidden caches that can spawn in any of several specific locations. Caches may be found tucked into corners and niches near landmarks (such as inside ice caves or beside waterfalls) or near landscape features such as fallen trees or at the top of cliffs. Cache spawn locations can vary between games. Caches are small grey boxes with orange lids, and each may contain collections of semi-related items such as rifle accessorirs, and most caches have the same level loot as supply caches in Wintermute, with up to 4 high-quality supplies (e.g., mid- to high-level clothing, medicine, and food).
In addition to the many caves, the region has a number of named locations:
- This region contains new waterfall effects and new cave systems; the region also features a new form of scrub brush that acts as a physical barrier, potentially blocking some direct paths completely. However, this form of brush can also be broken down with a hatchet, yielding 12 sticks. Some scrub barriers can be bypassed by careful navigation on nearby ledges.
- It has higher vertical cliffs and features a system of climbing that utilizes preexisting roots from rose hip bushes, with the addition of a few mountaineering ropes in ice caves and on high cliffs.
- There are no human-made shelters on the map besides three snow shelters, one of which will always spawn near the Signal Fire point.
- The region shares many core features with Timberwolf Mountain, including extensive caves, rugged terrain, and a continuous lack of human habitation.
- It was released with the Vigilant Flame Update on June 14th, 2018 and was released on XBOX1/1S Friday, June 15th, 2018.
- The original name of the region was River Valley as placeholder name. The name was changed to Hushed River Valley when the update was released.
- Ice caves can be found in this region only.
- Apparently, Fluffy may reside in one of this region's ice caves.
- Moose can spawn near Monolith Lake and in the central valley.