Hinterland Studio Inc. is an independent game studio headquartered in the heart of the picturesque Northern Vancouver Island wilderness.
|“|| Established in 2012 by Raphael van Lierop, Hinterland is a multi-national, multi-ethnic team united around a single goal: to create thought-provoking, story-rich entertainment experiences. Our original fictional settings are conceived from the ground up to exist across multiple mediums and game platforms.|
Location of Hinterland Studio
Inc. on Vancouver Island
The studio was founded by Raphael van Lierop, who previously directed Relic's Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine and worked on other games such as Company of Heros, Dawn of War, and Far Cry 3. In 2012, van Lierop started Hinterland Studio and recruited veteran AAA game developers including Alan Lawrance of Volition Inc, Hokoyo Lim, art director for League of Legends, David Chan, audio designer at BioWare, and Marianna Krawczyk, lead writer of the God of War series. Since then, the team has grown to include over 19 members. In August 2016, it was announced that Hinterland would be moving to its new headquarters on Dunsmuir Avenue in Cumberland.
Hinterland utilizes a distributed model, in which employees may work from locations other than the main studio. About half of the employees work at the main studio in Cumberland, while the other half is distributed throughout North America. The team utilizes electronic communications and project management applications such as Slack, Skype, and Basecamp, and supplements these with occasional in-person meetings.
Hinterland’s games are imbued with a sense of social awareness and aspire to provide immersive, sophisticated worlds to anyone seeking a mature gaming experience.
As with the studio, Hinterland’s games exist to pioneer original experiences from the fringe of the mainstream games industry.
|The Long Dark|| Windows|
| Full Release: 1 Aug 2017 |
Early Access: 22 Sept 2014
- The names of studio employees are hidden throughout the game, such as in the Crashed Prison Transport Bus manifest, as well as in the names of several locations, such as:
- ↑ Alexander, L. (n.d.). Inspiration in isolation: The Long Dark takes on a different kind of survival fiction. Gamasutra Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- ↑ Sinclair, B. (2013, September 9). AAA devs form Hinterland. Gamesindustry.biz Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- ↑ (2016, October 18). Movers and Shakers. Business Examiner Vancouver Island (August 2016 issue), 35. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- ↑ Nowak, P. (2015, September 22). How Hinterland hires a workforce spread around North America. Canadian Business. Retrieved February 19, 2018.