First Aid is a game mechanic in The Long Dark.
Actively managing one's health is critical for survival. Many afflictions in the game require medical intervention to remove. The variety of available treatments in The Long Dark range from different bandages to stop bleeding all the way to pharmaceuticals and natural remedies to control infections and pain or simply bed-rest.
First aid interface Edit
Administering first aid is only done using the first aid interface, accessible either through the Radial Menu or by pressing the 'First Aid' key ('F' by default).
- While some first aid items can be used or consumed from the inventory page, using them there will not treat any of your afflictions. Treatment must be administered using the first aid interface to count as a cure.
- Current afflictions are listed and selectable on the left of the screen. It is possible to have multiple instances of similar afflictions. Each must be treated individually.
- Treatment options appear and are activated to the right. Many afflictions will offer two different possible treatments, regardless treatments are only selectable when the necessary materials are in inventory. Some afflictions have no treatment.
- Many afflictions also require a resting or waiting period to completely cure, listed near the bottom. Hours will tick off as they are completed.
- Afflictions disappear when they are cured. Some afflictions will disappear without treatment once sufficient time has passed.
- Beneficial afflictions also appear but in green. They aren't treatable and will disappear when they no longer apply.
For more detailed information on the various treatments and injuries, see Afflictions.
|Artificial||Antibiotics • Antiseptic • Bandage • Emergency stim • Painkillers • Water purification tablets|
|Natural||Old man's beard wound dressing • Rose hip tea • Reishi tea|
|Other||First aid • Afflictions • Injuries|